The first St. Nicholas Church in Tarpon was built in 1907. The existing building was completed in 1943. The domed church is an example of Neo-Byzantine architecture and was modelled after Saint Sophia Cathedral (Hagia Sophia) in Constantinople (now Istanbul).
The cathedral includes marble from Greece. The miraculous weeping Icon of Saint Nicholas is inside near the entrance. Inside the Cathedral, there are 23 stained glass windows and three large chandeliers from Czechoslovakia. The 60-ton altar of Greek marble was a gift from Greece and was originally part of the Greek exhibit at the first World's Fair in New York.